Return to the BUILD
“Add a junction box to the top left side of your DeLorean.”
NOTE: I am installing the EL Light Mod from Model Modz as I build my model. There are some changes that need to be made during this issue to include this mod. I will note them where needed. If you are not using this EL mod, you can reference Issue 98 where I show how to attach the Filaments to the LEDs.
Materials: All of these parts are plastic, but I think the Filament is actually a solid PVC tube.
- Drive Time: Model Instructions
- Industrial Light & Magic: Movie Miracle Workers
- A Time Traveler’s Guide: Destiny
Junction Box, Top Left Side
- Retrieve your DeLorean. Remove and discard the adhesive tape holding the LED down on the left side of the roof.
- As we have done before, place the two ends of the Lighting Filament up against the ‘head’ of the LED and fit them both onto a piece of Adhesive Tape.
- Wrap the Adhesive Tape tightly around these to hold them together.
- Place the Junction Box (upside down) under this joint.
I do not have these roof LEDs installed on my model due to my usage of The EL Light Mod. Therefore, I could not complete, nor photograph, the steps above. However, I picked up the install with the following steps:
Fit the two Lighting Filaments/EL wires into these notches. Secure the Lighting Filaments/EL wires to the Junction Box by attaching the Bracket over them as shown, using two (2) IP screws.
EL Light Mod change: The rear EL wires can be identified by the black heat-shrink on them. I found the midway point of one of these wires, carefully bent it around, and secured this loop inside the Junction Box under the Bracket, as shown:
Fit the Junction Box to the roof, as shown aligning the socket on the box to the post on the roof:
Secure the Junction Box to the roof with one (1) NM screw.
This is your friendly reminder to try using 3-in-One Oil on all screws going into metal:
Push the Plate over the screw hole, aligning the two pins to the matching holes in the Junction Box.
Just in case I needed to remove the Junction Box and adjust the EL wires later on, I did not push this Plate all the way at this point. When you are happy with the lighting, just push it the rest of the way in:
Using the EL Light Mod makes this issue quite easy. I did not have to fiddle with taping the awful stock filaments to LED heads. The mod is definitely more work, but the results are worth it in every way!
Issue 105 – Body: Rear Power Coil Junction Box/Filaments (Right)